- One package of Pepperidge Farm Cornbread mix
- 450 grams (1 pound) of bacon
- One large onion
- Two stalks of celery
- One large egg
- Two packages of Chicken stock (230 ml / 8 oz. each)
- 14 grams (1 tablespoon) Kosher salt
- 14 grams (1 tablespoon) Fresh ground pepper
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) Poultry seasoning
This recipe calls for Pepperidge Farm cornbread mix but it can be hard to
find in some places. Mrs. Cubbisons cornbread stuffing is a good
- Cut the bacon into to 12.5 mm (0.5 inch) pieces.
- In a large cast iron skillet, over medium low heat fry the
bacon pieces to your liking but no too crisp.
- While the bacon is cooking, dice the onion into small pieces
also cut the celery into small pieces.
- Once the bacon is cooked, remove, with a slotted spoon, the
bacon bits to a paper towel covered plate. Keep the bacon grease in
- Cook the onion and celery in the bacon grease in the skillet
until the onion is translucent.
- With a slotted spoon remove the onion and celery mix from the
skillet into a heat proof bowel.
- Pour the bacon grease into a heat proof measuring cup. Allow
the liquid to settle so that the small pieces settle to the bottom
of the measuring cup.
- In a very large mixing bowl combing the cornbread mix, bacon,
onion, and celery. Mix well.
- Add one lightly beaten egg and mix well.
- The stuffing needs to moist enough that when lightly squeezed
into a ball in your hand it stays together but not so moist that
liquid runs out. To do this slowly add the bacon grease and mix
well after a small amount has been added. After each liquid add and
mix do the ball test. If you run out of bacon grease use chicken
- After the stuffing is moist enough to pass the ball test, add
small amount of salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning then mix well
and taste. The amounts given in the ingredients is a base guideline
and should be adjusted to taste.
- Put stuffing mix into a greased 22 x 33 cm (9 X 13 inch) pyrex
backing dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 176.0 Celsius
(350.0 Fahrenheit) oven for 40 minutes until the stuffing reaches
74 Celsius (165 Fahrenheit) internal.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Stuffing can be reheated by pouring a little chicken stock into
the pan and heating covered in a 176.0 Celsius (350.0 Fahrenheit)
oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the stuffing reaches 74 Celsius
(165 Fahrebheit) internal.